"I know that it doesn't matter if the person you try to teach doesn't commit to anything, it just matters if you're doing your best at inviting them to come unto christ."

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Weekly Update 11 April 2012

Hi Everyone!

It sure has been an interesting few days! I've grown in love with St. Helen's, I love it so much I could even live here after my mission (not that I'm considering it, but I could!) I am having an amazing time here and I'm still smiling!
We have had so much success with working with members, I love depending on members and through that relationship they know that we work hard and when they work with us we see miracles. Since receiving a new companion it sure is interesting because Elder Lamb and I haven't been out for a year yet of our missions and we are still both 19 years old, we have an interesting dynamic as a companionship, I'm the youngest companion he has ever had and he is also the youngest companion I've ever had... the faith that we have together as new missionaries is astounding, I love it!

It is also a rarity for two English missionaries to serve together (our ward loves it!) we manage to work hard together and because our understanding of the culture and the nature of the area of St. Helen's our investigators are being treated well!
I'm in love with St. Helen's not because of the area (in all fairness it is a great area!) but the members really do make the area. We have dinner appointments everyday, we are fed really well, the members get along well with us and they talk to us like we are just a part of the family, one of our neighbors washes and irons our shirts (I can't remember the last time I have ironed a white shirt in St. Helen's) the youth are great and everyday feels like "destiny"

I've decided to take a photo just before I e-mail as a new tradition so you can kind of see things live, plus we are e-mailing on some posh apple macs, it's a good deal if you ask me.

Thursday - Saturday this week was a blur, I got a little ill which aggravated my asthma a little so I ended up not being able to breathe properly so I got permission to stay in and recover, it was pretty interesting, because if you know me... I haven't really had a lot of experience with doctors offices and walk in centers and pharmacies just because I never get sick. So it was interesting trying to answer questions about what is what and who is who.
All that matters is that I am better now and I'm out and about.

Easter Sunday was amazing! We managed to get things done. This Sunday made me reminisce a little, the St. Helen's ward has many talented people and has people who can play the piano so it is never a struggle to get anyone to do it, I haven't really played piano for a sacrament meeting since Rochdale (about 4 months ago) and this Sunday all the pianists just seemed to not be there or were ill as well so I was privileged to play during sacrament meeting, I love the opportunities that we receive as missionaries to serve, because we are "called to serve" and that can happen in anyway we can... I managed to play for 2 musical items and a normal sacrament service! I love using my talents for good, it really benefited the St. Helen's ward and they were able to see that I'm just not "another Mormon missionary in a suit"

Something exciting that happened this past week was an activity called "Family Night with the Osmond's" some of the Osmond brothers came to Liverpool, before last Monday I really had no clue who the Osmond's were or even what they looked like. Well... I tell you I know now, some of the missionaries in the Liverpool stake were able to attend with investigators and less actives and non members, many of the people who were there were non members, there was a crowd of about 700 and it was an amazing amount of missionary work we were able to do there. In all it was a great activity that we were able to be a part of, people travelled far and wide to get to that concert and apparently even people from Denmark came!

It was a wonderful opportunity for missionary work!

I love you all, it is a great time to be a missionary!

Love,
Elder Sapaden

No comments:

Post a Comment